The spicy chorizo gives these Cheesy Mushroom and Chorizo Pies a real bite.
- 25 mins
- 3 tbsp (45ml) olive oil
- 1 punnet black mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 chorizo sausage, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup (125ml) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry
- 3 tbsp (45ml) butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the mushrooms over a high heat for 4 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated. Add the garlic and chorizo and fry for a further 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and allow too cool slightly.
- Once cool, add the cheese and mix well.
- Stick 2 sheets of phyllo together with some of the melted butter and cut into 8 squares. Fill each square with 2 tbsp (30ml) of the mushroom filling and gently roll up.
- Place on a greased baking tray and repeat with the remaining pastry and filling. Brush the pastry with the remaining melted butter and bake for 15 minutes until golden. Serve while still warm.
Magazine issue date: January, 2011