These low-carb cheesy soufflés are the perfect brunch time treat.
- 25 mins
- 125ml almond flour
- 5ml salt
- 5ml mustard powder
- 3ml black pepper
- 3ml xanthan gum
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 180ml cream
- 500ml Cheddar, grated
- 60ml chives, finely chopped
- 6 large eggs, room temperature and separated
- pinch cream of tartar
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease 8 ramekins and place them on a large baking tray.
- Whisk together the almond flour, salt, mustard, pepper, xanthan gum and cayenne pepper. Slowly whisk in the cream until well combined. Whisk in the cheese, chives and egg yolks until fully incorporated.
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar and salt until stiff peaks form and the mixture is glossy. Carefully fold the egg whites into the almond flour mixture until just combined.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared ramekins. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the soufflés have risen a few cm above the rim, are golden brown and cooked.
FEATURE: VICKIE DE BEER ASSISTED BY INGE BARTSCH AND RACHAEL KRUYER PHOTOS: LEE SCHWAGELE
Magazine issue date: August, 2016