These chicken pies are easy to transport for picnics and great for lunchboxes.
- 1 hr
- Makes 6
- 15ml butter
- 20ml cake flour
- 250ml milk
- 500ml shredded roast chicken
- 10ml chicken spice
- 2 x 400g rolls puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 15ml sesame seeds
- sweet chilli sauce, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Melt the butter on medium, stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
Slowly add milk, stirring constantly and cook for about 3 minutes or until sauce thickens.
Stir in chicken and spice. Cool.
- Cut 6 x 11cm hearts out of the pastry. Line 6 x 10.5cm heart or round tart pans with the remaining pastry and cut 6 x 3cm hearts from offcuts. Fill tart cases with the chicken mixture. Top with the large hearts and pinch edges together.
- Brush tarts with egg and top with small hearts, brushed with egg too. Sprinkle tarts with sesame (not the small hearts). Bake for about 25 minutes or until puffed and golden. Serve hot or cold with sweet chilli sauce.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: ROELENE PRINSLOO
Magazine issue date: February, 2020