These Chilled Melons in Rooibos Tea Syrup are refreshing, cooling and easy to make.
- 7 mins + chilling
- ½ cup (125ml) sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- 2 Rooibos teabags
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh mint
- ½ small watermelon, peeled, deseeded and thinly sliced
- ½ winter melon, peeled, deseeded and thinly sliced
- ½ honeydew melon, peeled, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 2 limes, quartered
- Combine the sugar, water, teabags, ginger and mint sprigs in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the sugar dissolves. Remove the teabags.
- Increase heat to medium-high and bring to the boil. Cook for 2 minutes or until the syrup thickens slightly. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Place all the melon in a large bowl. Strain the syrup over the melon. Place in the fridge for 1 hour to chill.
- To serve, divide the melon into glass serving bowls or clear tumblers, and pour over the tea syrup. Garnish with the lime wedges.
Magazine issue date: January, 2011