These spicy chilli con carne meatballs are a delicious alternative to the norm.
- 45 mins
FOR THE CHILLI CON CARNE MEATBALLS
- 500g beef mince
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- handful coriander, chopped + extra
- 10ml ground coriander
- olive or avocado oil, for frying
- 20cm chorizo, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 chilli, finely chopped
- 30ml tomato paste
- 15ml brown sugar
- 410g tin red kidney beans, drained
- 15ml smoked paprika
- 125ml beef stock
- 410g tin chopped tomatoes
FOR THE CHILLI FLATBREADS
- 60ml olive or avocado oil
- 30ml crushed chillies
- zest of 1 lime
- 4-6 tortilla wraps
- For the meatballs, combine the beef, garlic and corianders. Season. Roll tablespoons of the mixture into balls.
- Heat a splash of oil on medium-high and fry the chorizo (if using) until crisp. Set aside (keep the fat in the pan). Cook the meatballs in the same pan for 5-8 minutes, turning until browned. Set aside.
- Sauté the onion and chilli in the same pan. Stir through the tomato paste, sugar, beans and paprika and cook for 1 minute. Add the stock and tomatoes. Season. Bring to a boil, return the meatballs and cook for about 10 minutes. Sprinkle the chorizo over (if using).
- For the flatbreads, combine the oil, chillies and zest. Heat a wrap in a pan on high until warm and brush with some of the chilli oil. Repeat with the rest. Serve with the chilli con carne and extra coriander sprinkled over.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY ALFRED NQAYI PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: April, 2018