Chocolate and chilli is a match made in heaven in this choc chilli mud cake served with the easiest vanilla chilli ice cream.
- 1 hr 30 mins
FOR THE VANILLA CHILLI ICE CREAM
- 15ml vanilla essence
- 385g tin condensed milk
- 250ml cream
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 60ml brandy
FOR THE CAKE
- 250g butter, chopped
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 330ml milk
- 375ml castor sugar
- 10ml vanilla essence
- 1 whole chilli
- 2 eggs
- 410ml cake flour
- pinch baking powder
- 80ml cocoa powder + extra
- pinch salt
- For the ice cream, beat together the vanilla, condensed milk, cream and chilli until it forms soft peaks. Fold in the brandy. Pour into an airtight container and freeze overnight.
- For the cake, preheat oven to 150°C. Line a 25cm round springform cake tin with baking paper.
- Heat the butter, chocolate, milk, sugar, vanilla and chilli on medium, stirring occasionally for about
5 minutes or until melted. Cool to room temperature, then remove chilli.
- Beat in the eggs until combined. Sift over the remaining ingredients and fold in until just smooth.
Pour into prepared tin. Bake for about 1 hour 10 minutes or until cooked. When tested with a skewer there will be a few moist crumbs. Cool completely in the tin.
- Dust with extra cocoa and serve with scoops of the ice cream.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY ALFRED NQAYI PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: April, 2018