This chocolate ice-cream cake is every chocolate lover’s dream.
- 40 mins + freezing
FOR THE BROWNIE BASE
- 125g butter
- 125ml sugar
- 2 eggs
- 10ml vanilla essence
- 160ml cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 3ml baking powder
- 180ml cake flour
FOR THE CHOC ICE CREAM
- 375ml cream
- 250g dark chocolate, chopped
- 15ml vanilla essence
- 45ml brandy or cold espresso coffee
FOR THE CHOC DRIZZLE
- 150g dark chocolate, chopped
- variety of chocolates, to decorate
- For the brownie base, preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 19cm springform cake tin with baking paper. Heat the butter in the microwave for about 1 minute or until melted. Stir in sugar, then eggs and vanilla until smooth. Sift in the cocoa, salt, baking powder and flour and fold in until combined.
- Spread the batter into the prepared tin. Bake for about 15 minutes or until a testing skewer comes out with only a few moist crumbs. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until cold.
- For the ice cream, heat ½ the cream and chocolate in the microwave for about 1 minute 30 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Stir in remaining cream and vanilla and chill in the fridge until cold. Beat the chocolate cream until soft peaks form. Fold in the brandy or coee. Spread onto the brownie base and freeze overnight.
- For the drizzle, remove the cake from the tin and place on a cake stand. Heat the chocolate in the microwave for about 1 minute 30 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Use a spoon to drizzle around the sides of the cake. Decorate with chocolates and serve immediately.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: December, 2018