These chocolate and pistachio pastry bites are a twist on baklava (minus the syrup) and filled with chocolate.
- 40 mins
- Makes 20
- 100g pistachios, finely chopped
- 5ml ground cinnamon
- 5ml brown sugar
- 10 sheets phyllo pastry
- 60g butter, melted + extra
- 125g dark chocolate, chopped
- icing sugar, to dus
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line two large oven trays with baking paper. Combine the pistachios, cinnamon and sugar.
- Cut the phyllo sheets in half, then cover with a damp tea towel so they don’t dry out.
- Working with one sheet of pastry at a time, lightly brush half the sheet with melted butter. Sprinkle over some pistachio mixture. Fold pastry in half to enclose filling.
- Brush the top lightly with more butter. Place about a teaspoon of chocolate 1cm from the edge on the shorter end. Fold end over chocolate, then fold in about 1cm on each side. Roll up into a long thin cigarette shape.
- Place on prepared tray. Repeat the process with the remaining pastry and filling. Brush tops with extra butter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until light golden. Dust with icing sugar while still hot. Cool.
Magazine issue date: November, 2016