Enjoy two favourites in one treat with these chocolate coffee muffins.
- 40 mins + cooling
- Makes 13
- 500ml self-raising flour
- 180ml cocoa powder, sifted
- 3ml bicarbonate of soda
- pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 310ml brown sugar
- 150g butter, melted
- 250ml sour cream
- 125ml strong brewed coffee, cooled
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line jumbo muffin pans with large cupcake cases. Sift together the flour, cocoa, bicarb and salt.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until creamy. Beat in the butter until fully incorporated. Beat in sour cream, coffee and vanilla until evenly incorporated. Fold dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Fold in two-thirds of the chocolate.
- Spoon the batter (it should be quite thick) evenly into the prepared muffin cups and sprinkle remaining chocolate on top. Bake for about 18 minutes or until a testing skewer comes out clean (there might be melted chocolate from the chips stuck to it). Cool.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
For a strong coffee flavour add 30ml instant coffee granules to the batter.
Magazine issue date: Jun, 2017