Make these low-sugar Chocolate Energy Bars, as a lunch box snack or treat.
- 40 mins
- Makes 24
- 125ml (½ cup) sunflower seeds
- 125ml (½ cup) pumpkin seeds
- 375ml (1½ cups) oats
- 250ml (1 cup) mixed dried fruit, chopped
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped
- 60g butter
- 100ml honey
- 1 medium apple, peeled and grated
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line a 18cm x 27cm x 3cm deep pan with baking paper, allowing for a 2cm overhang at the long ends.
- Combine the seeds, oats, dried fruit and chocolate. Melt the butter and honey on low. Stir for 3-4 minutes until melted. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened. Cool down slightly.
- Add the butter mixture and apple to the seed mixture. Stir to combine. Spoon into the prepared pan and press the mixture evenly. Bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. Cool in the pan completely then refrigerate for 2 hours. Cut into 24 bars.
Magazine issue date: February, 2015