This bright chocolate and espresso trifle is a family favourite!
- Takes 1 hr
FOR THE CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 300g almond flour
- 60ml whey protein powder
- 45ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 10ml baking powder
- 5ml bicarbonate of soda
- pinch salt
- 250ml sour cream
- 75ml ground xylitol
- 2 eggs
- 2.5ml vanilla extract
- 100g 70% dark chocolate, melted
- 60ml strong espresso
- 10ml xylitol
FOR THE COFFEE CREAM
- 250ml mascarpone
- 330ml cream
- 20g ground xylitol
- 60ml espresso
- 250g strawberries, roughly diced + extra for serving
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a 25cm x30cm cake pan with baking paper.
- For the cake, combine the flour, whey protein powder, cocoa, baking powder, bicarb and salt, mixing until
- Whisk together the sour cream, xylitol, eggs and vanilla until well combined. Add the sour cream mixture and melted chocolate to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the cake pan and bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Combine the espresso and xylitol and drizzle over the warm cake.
- For the coffee cream, combine the mascarpone, cream and xylitol. Whip to soft peaks, and fold in the espresso. Refrigerate until needed.
- Cut the chocolate cake into rounds, according to the size of the trifle glasses.
- To assemble, you will need 6 trifle glasses. Place a layer of the strawberries at the bottom of each
glass, followed by the chocolate cake, strawberries and then a generous amount of coffee cream. Garnish the trifles with the remaining whole or chopped strawberries.
RECIPE: VICKIE DE BEER ASSISTED BY JULIA VAN MAARSEVEEN AND INGE BARTSCH PHOTOS: LEE SCHWAGELE
Magazine issue date: December, 2017