If you’re looking for a fudgy, moist chocolate whisky cake, this is the best one ever.
- 1 hr 30 mins + cooling
- Serves 15
FOR THE CAKE
- 500ml sugar
- 210ml sunflower oil
- 15ml vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 500ml buttermilk
- 80ml whisky
- 625ml cake flour
- 250ml cocoa powder
- 10ml bicarbonate of soda
- 5ml salt
- 90g packet instant chocolate pudding pre-mix
- 250ml dark chocolate chips
FOR THE WHIPPED GANACHE
- 500g dark chocolate, chopped
- 750ml cream
- 60ml whisky
- 30ml butter
- 125ml mixed gold sprinkles
- For the cake, preheat oven to 160°C. Line 2 x 19cm cake tins with baking paper. Fill a deep oven tray with water and place on the lowest rack of the oven. (This will create steam, resulting in a moist cake.)
- Beat together sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs. Stir in buttermilk and whisky. Sift over flour, cocoa, bicarb, salt and pudding premix. Stir in chocolate and divide between prepared pans. Bake for about 1 hour, or
until a cake tester comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in tins.
- For the ganache, heat all the ingredients in the microwave for about 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Allow the mixture to cool completely in the fridge, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour. Beat
until stiff peaks form.
- Cut the tops of the cakes to flatten them, then cut each cake into two layers. Place one layer on a cake stand and spread a layer of whipped ganache on top. Repeat layers. Cover the cake with the remaining
whipped ganache. Press sprinkles around the base.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Replace the whisky with coffee for an alcohol-free variation.
Magazine issue date: June, 2019