These gluten-free Cinnamon Swirls mean the whole family can enjoy a piping hot cinnamon roll!
- 1 hr 30 mins
FOR THE DOUGH
- 10g packet instant yeast
- 60ml (¼ cup) sugar
- 160ml milk
- 15ml (1T) butter
- 250ml (1 cup) gluten-free cake flour
- 60ml (¼ cup) ground almonds
- 60ml (¼ cup) tapioca starch + extra
- 3ml (½ t) bicarbonate of soda
- 8ml (½ T) xanthan gum (from baking shops)
- 15ml (1T) gluten-free baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 60ml (¼ cup) vegetable oil
- 5ml (1t) vanilla essence
FOR THE FILLING
- 80ml (1/3 cup) butter, melted
- 125ml (½ cup) brown sugar
- 30ml (2T) ground cinnamon
FOR THE ICING
- 20ml (4t) butter, softened
- 30ml (2T) cream cheese, softened
- 80ml (1/3 cup) icing sugar
- 3ml (½ t) vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180°C. For the dough, combine the yeast and sugar. Heat the milk and butter in the microwave until melted. Whisk the butter mixture into the yeast mixture. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the cake flour, almonds, tapioca starch, bicarb, xanthan gum, baking powder and salt. Mix the egg, oil and vanilla into the yeast mixture. Then add this to the flour mixture and beat with an electric beater for 3 minutes.
- Lay a large piece of plastic wrap out on a surface and sprinkle well with extra tapioca starch. Turn the dough (it should be quite sticky) out onto the surface, spread out and dust with extra tapioca starch. Roll out into a 33cm x 25cm rectangle. Brush the excess flour off the top.
- For the filling, spread the butter over the dough, leaving a 1cm border around the edges. Combine the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over the dough. Roll the dough up tightly, using the plastic wrap as a guide, starting from the long side and brushing excess flour off as you go.
- Dip a sharp knife into some extra tapioca starch and cut the dough into 8 rolls. Place the rolls, cut side down, in a greased dish. Cover with plastic wrap and let them rise for 15 minutes. Bake for about 20 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
- For the icing, beat together all the ingredients until smooth. Spoon over the cinnamon rolls as soon as they come out of the oven and serve.
Magazine issue date: May, 2015