Nothing warms a winter evening like a good Classic French Onion Soup.
- 1 hr
- 1 small baguette, sliced
- 30ml olive or avocado oil, for drizzling
- 60g butter
- 1kg onions, thickly sliced
- 15ml cake flour
- 60ml white wine
- 750ml warm vegetable stock
- 20ml brandy
- 125ml Gruyère cheese, finely grated
- small handful thyme, leaves picked
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place the bread slices onto a baking tray. Drizzle with oil and bake until crisp, turning once.
- Heat the butter on medium and fry the onion for about 30 minutes, until caramelised. Stir the flour through the onion and fry for a minute. Add the wine and stir again.
- Add the stock a little at a time, while stirring, to prevent lumps from forming. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the brandy and season.
- Spoon the onion soup into ovenproof serving bowls. Top with the toasted bread slices and some cheese. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Sprinkle thyme over to serve.
Raclette or Jarlsberg cheese are suitable alternatives if you can't find Gruyère.
Magazine issue date: June, 2015