These cookie monster cupcakes are lots of fun for birthday parties!
- 50 mins + cooling
- Makes 13
FOR THE BATTER
- 120g soft butter
- pinch salt
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 180ml sugar
- 2 eggs
- 430ml self-raising flour
- 125ml milk
FOR THE ICING
- 750ml icing sugar
- 180g soft butter
- 8ml vanilla essence
- 10ml milk
- few drops blue food colouring
- cornflour, for dusting
- 45ml plastic icing
- few drops black food colouring
- black food colouring pen
- 7 chocolate chip cookies, halved
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 13 holes of standard cupcake pans with cupcake cases.
- For the batter, beat the butter, salt, vanilla and sugar until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until combined.
- Add the flour and milk, alternating into the butter mixture until just combined. Spoon into cups until ⅔ full.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool on wire racks.
- For the icing, beat all the ingredients except colouring until well combined. Colour until dark blue. Spoon into a medium zip seal bag and make holes into the side (in an area the size of a R5 coin) with a toothpick. Pipe over the cupcakes.
- To decorate, lightly dust a surface with cornflour and roll the plastic icing out to 3mm thickness and cut out 26 x 1.5cm circles. Draw pupils on with the pen. Insert a cookie half into the side of the cupcake and top with two eyes.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER AND PHOTOS BY ANDREA CALDWALL
Magazine issue date: January, 2017