Indulge in these low-sugar, gluten-free cream tarts with cherry compote.
- 40 mins + cooling
- Makes 7
FOR THE BASE
- 500ml almonds
- 125ml desiccated coconut, toasted
- 45ml xylitol
- 5ml ground ginger
- 100g butter, melted
FOR THE CHERRY COMPOTE
- 350g fresh or frozen cherries
- 15ml vanilla essence
- 60ml sugar-free cherry jam
FOR THE FILLING
- 230g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 250g mascarpone, at room temperature
- 30ml xylitol
- 10ml vanilla essence
- For the base, blitz together the almonds and coconut until fine. Add the remaining ingredients and blitz until it forms a dough.
- Press the mixture into the bases and up the sides of 7 x 9.5cm springform tart tins. Place in the freezer until firm.
- For the compote, heat all the ingredients on medium for about 10 minutes or until soft, but keeping shape. Cool to room temperature.
- For the filling, beat together the ingredients until fluffy. Spread into the tart cases. Top with the compote.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: Jun, 2018