This creamy honey mustard roast chicken is tender and juicy inside with crispy skin outside.
- 1 hr 15 mins
- 30ml Dijon mustard
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 100g soft butter
- 1.4kg whole chicken
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 handfuls baby onions, peeled
- 2 handfuls baby potatoes, halved
FOR THE SAUCE
- 250ml sour cream
- 30ml wholegrain mustard
- 30ml honey
- 160ml chicken stock
- handful thyme, leaves picked
- juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Combine the mustard, zest and butter. Season. Carefully loosen the skin of the chicken at the breast with your fingers and push in the butter mixture.
- Tie the chicken’s legs together with kitchen string and place in a deep roasting tray. Add the onions and potatoes and drizzle with oil. Season. Cook for about 50 minutes, or until golden and just cooked through.
- For the sauce, combine all the ingredients, except lemon juice. Season. Add to the tray. Squeeze lemon juice over the chicken and roast for about 8 minutes, until sauce is heated through.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY: NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTO: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: July, 2019