A delicious, affordable soup with mushrooms and cream. Serve with a crispy ciabatta.
- 45 mins
- 125ml butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 500g button mushrooms, sliced
- 5ml ground nutmeg
- 2L vegetable stock
- 125ml cake flour
- 625ml milk
- 30ml soy sauce
- ciabatta, to serve
- olive or avocado oil, for frying
- handful sage
- 100g exotic or button mushrooms, sliced
- Heat 60ml butter on medium high and cook the onion and mushrooms in batches until golden. Sprinkle the nutmeg over and fry for a minute. Add the stock and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Heat the remaining butter on medium, sprinkle the cake flour over and cook, while stirring, for a minute. Slowly add the milk, stirring to prevent lumps. Simmer for 5 minutes, while stirring. Mix the mushroom mixture in, along with the soy sauce. Season. Blitz until smooth.
- Optional: Heat a splash of oil on medium and fry the sage until crisp. Heat another splash of oil on high and fry the mushrooms until golden. Season and scatter over the soup. Serve with toasted ciabatta slices.