Serve this creamy tomato gnocchi as a meal to vegetarians or a side dish for steak.
- 20 mins
- 30ml olive or avocado oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 45ml tomato paste
- 2 handfuls cherry tomatoes
- 400g tin tomato purée
- 5ml sugar (optional)
- 30ml balsamic vinegar
- 500g packet gnocchi
- handful basil, chopped
- 160ml Greek yoghurt
- 180ml mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Heat oil on medium-high in a 28cm ovenproof frying pan and sauté the onion and garlic.
- Stir in the tomato paste, cherry tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar and balsamic and bring to a boil. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Cook the gnocchi in salted boiling water according to the packet instructions. Drain and stir into the tomato
mixture with the basil and yoghurt. Season.
- Sprinkle over mozzarella and cook under a heated grill for about 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
This makes a great steak side for meat lovers.
Magazine issue date: Jun, 2018