Craving crunchy fried chicken without having to drench it in oil? We have a way…
- 30 mins
- 4 chicken fillets, butterflied and sliced in half
- 50g fresh, wholewheat breadcrumbs
- handful parsley, chopped
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 30ml olive or avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Season the chicken.
- Combine the breadcrumbs and parsley in a bowl.
- Brush each chicken fillet with egg white, then coat with the breadcrumb mixture on all sides. Place the fillets on a lightly greased baking tray and drizzle with oil. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with a garden salad or vegetables.
MAKE IT HEALTHY!
- Bake the chicken instead of frying it. Although fat has an essential role in a healthy diet, deep frying foods has other risks. When oil (even the healthier ones) gets hot enough for deep frying, the chemical structure changes and it can become harmful to the body. Food also absorbs a lot more oil during deep frying than any other cooking method.
- Use chicken fillets or remove the skin from chicken pieces before coating to reduce the fat content.
- Use wholewheat breadcrumbs instead of refined white crumbs to coat the chicken.