Crack perfect crackling with this delicious recipe for crispy pork belly.
- 2 hrs + refrigeration
- 2kg (3-4cm thick) boneless pork belly with skin
- 2 heads garlic
- 30ml olive or avocado oil
- 60ml sea salt flakes
- 30ml fennel seeds
- 2 handfuls sage
FOR THE SPICED APPLE CHUTNEY
- 125ml brown sugar
- 125ml white wine vinegar
- 60ml water
- 3ml crushed dried chillies (optional)
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 small green apples, chopped
- Leave the pork uncovered in the fridge for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight to dry out.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Score the pork skin 1cm apart with a sharp knife or blade. Break the garlic cloves and scatter over the base of a baking dish. Rub the oil all over the pork and rub in ½ of the salt. Place skin side down on top of the garlic and sprinkle with fennel. Roast for 1 hour.
- Increase oven temperature to 230°C. Turn over the pork and sprinkle with remaining salt, add the sage to the tray and roast for about 50 minutes or until the skin is golden and crunchy (cover pieces that brown too much with foil).
- For the chutney, heat the sugar, vinegar, water, chillies, star anise and cinnamon on medium-high, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Add the apples, bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until soft, but chunky. Serve warm or cold with the pork.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: December, 2018