There's no need to buy these delicious Crunchy Vegetable Spring Rolls - make them yourself and keep them healthy too.
- 40 mins
- 15ml olive or avocado oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 15ml grated ginger
- 2 large carrots, coarsely grated
- 250ml red cabbage, shredded
- 250ml green cabbage, shredded
- small handful green beans, julienned
- 30ml oyster sauce
- 15ml soy sauce
- 15ml rice wine vinegar
- 5ml castor sugar
- 80g bean sprouts, ends trimmed
- small handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 10ml cornflour
- 4 sheets phyllo pastry, thawed and cut into 15cm strips
- 60ml melted butter
- sunflower oil, for deep frying
- Heat the oil in a wok on high. Stir-fry the garlic, ginger, carrot, cabbage, green beans and coriander for 5 minutes. Stir in the oyster sauce, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and sugar.
- Add the sprouts, coriander and spring onions.
- Mix the cornflour with 15ml cold water until smooth. Add half of the cornflour mixture to the wok and cook while stirring until the mixture thickens. Allow to cool.
- Place a layer of phyllo pastry on a clean work surface and brush with melted butter. Place about 2 heaped tablespoons of filling in the centre, fold in the 2 sides, then roll up from the bottom to form a spring roll. Brush the edges with the remaining cornflour mixture and press down to seal. Repeat until you have 12 rolls. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer to 190°C. Fry the spring rolls in batches for 2-3 minutes until golden. Drain on paper towel.