Delicious and good for your heart, this curried chicken pilaf is a great one-dish meal.
- 45 mins
- 60ml olive oil
- onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100g brown rice
- 100g barley
- 750ml chicken stock
- 60g dried peaches, chopped
- 60g dried apricots, chopped
- 60g dried cranberries
- 500g chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 45ml masala curry
- handful coriander and mint, chopped
- Heat half of the oil on medium-high and sauté the onion and garlic. Add the rice and barley, and fry for 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Add the stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until the stock has evaporated, and the rice and barley are tender. Add the peaches, apricots and cranberries. Season.
- Heat the remaining oil on medium-high. Season the chicken strips with masala curry. Fry the chicken for 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cooked. Season.
- Toss the chicken through the pilaf. Serve with coriander and mint.
FEATURE: VICKIE DE BEER ASSISTED BY JULIA VAN MAARSEVEEN PHOTOS: SALIE VAN HEERDEN
Magazine issue date: June, 2016