This Curried Pickled Fish is the perfect make-ahead starter.
- 40 mins
- 1.5kg white fish fillets (like hake), skin and bones removed
- 80ml cake flour
- sunflower oil, for frying
FOR THE CURRY SAUCE
- 750ml white grape vinegar
- 250ml water
- 250ml sugar
- 60ml apricot jam
- 15ml turmeric
- 30ml mild curry powder
- 5ml salt
- 4 onions, sliced into rings (loosen the rings)
- 6 lemon leaves (optional)
- 3cm ginger, finely grated
- 15ml cake flour
- soft white bread rolls, sliced, to serve
- Cut the fish into portions and dust with flour. Heat a layer of oil in a large frying pan and fry the fish on both sides until cooked through. Drain on paper towels.
- For the sauce, bring the vinegar, water, sugar, jam, turmeric, curry powder and salt to a boil. Add the onions, lemon leaves and ginger. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the onions are cooked, but still crunchy.
- Mix a little of the sauce into the flour until smooth paste forms, then mix it into the rest of the sauce. Stir on high heat until it thickens.
- Layer the fish and onions in a glass dish. Pour the sauce over. Cover, cool and then refrigerate for 2-3 days before serving with rolls.
Want more? These starters will wow your guests:
- Cheesy Mushroom and Chorizo Pies
- Grilled Asparagus with Sesame Dressing
- Budget Friendly Creamy Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Garlic Snails
Pickled fish will keep for up to 1 month, stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Magazine issue date: April, 2016