There's nothing like a traditional South African bunny chow. This Durban beef and bean bunny chow is a winner.
- 1 hr 50 mins
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1kg boneless stewing beef, cut into bite-size blocks
- 3 sprigs curry leaves
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 15ml ground garam masala
- 410g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1.25L beef stock
- 150g green beans, cut into 2cm lengths
- 1 ½ cups cooked IMBO Kidney Beans
- squeeze lemon juice
- handful coriander, chopped
- 1 large sandwich loaf, unsliced
- Heat a splash of oil on high and fry the meat in batches until browned. Season then set aside. Add the curry leaves, onions and chilli and sauté. Return the beef and mix in the garam masala and then the tomatoes. Add the stock, cover and simmer for about 1½ hours until soft.
- Add all the beans and lemon juice and cook for 5 minutes. Mix in the coriander. Lay the loaves flat and slice the tops off horizontally. Hollow the loaves out, leaving a 2cm layer. Fill the breads with the curry and serve.