Too many Easter eggs? Raid the kids' stash and make this fudgy, chocolatey, Easter egg pudding!
- 1 hr
- 200g dark and/or milk chocolate, chopped (like hollow choc bunnies)
- 310ml milk
- 50g soft butter
- 160ml brown sugar
- 45ml self-raising flour
- 45ml cocoa powder
- pinch salt
- 2 eggs, separated
FOR THE TOPPING
- 3 marshmallow eggs, chopped
- handful hard-shell chocolate eggs (like mini-eggs, speckled eggs or chopped candy-coated hollow choc eggs)
- whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 19cm round or square oven-proof dish and place in a roasting tray.
- Heat the chocolate and milk in the microwave for about 1 minute 30 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Cool to room temperature.
- Beat together the butter and sugar. Sift in the flour, cocoa and salt. Beat in the egg yolks and cooled chocolate mixture.
- Whip the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff peaks form and fold into the chocolate mixture until combined. Pour into the prepared dish. Pour enough boiling water into the roasting tray to come halfway up its sides. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until just set on the outside with a gooey centre.
- For the topping, sprinkle all the eggs over the pudding 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time. Serve with cream or ice cream.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY: NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTO: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: May, 2019