Create the prettiest Christmas tree with these delicious baubles.
- 1 hr 30 mins + setting
- Makes about 30
- 1 batch brown sugar cookie dough
- 2 batches royal icing
- food colouring of your choice (we used different shades of pink)
- Preheat oven to 140°C. Prepare the cookie dough and roll out to 5mm thickness. Cut into 7cm bauble shapes with a cookie cutter. Place on baking paper lined trays and make holes in the tips with a skewer. Bake for about 20 minutes or until dry to the touch. Cool on the tray.
- Pipe outlines onto the cooled cookies with royal icing. Set aside to harden.
- Squeeze out remaining icing and thin out with a few drops of water until it has the consistency of syrup.
Set aside ½ of the icing. Divide the remaining icing between 2-3 bowls. Colour each to your preference
and spoon into separate piping bags fitted with small round nozzles (including the white icing).
- Working with 1 cookie at a time, flood the cookies inside the borders with the white icing. Add dollops
and stripes with the coloured icings and drag a toothpick through to create patterns. Set aside to harden. Repeat with the rest.
Beat together 330ml sifted icing sugar and 2 egg whites for about 3 minutes or until it has the consistency of toothpaste (add a few drops of milk if it’s too stiff or more icing sugar if it’s too runny). Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a small round nozzle.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: ANDREA CALDWELL
Magazine issue date: December, 2018