For something quite different, ‘wrap’ up delicious treats in this edible gift box.
- 2 hrs + setting
- Makes 2 boxes
- 1 batch brown sugar cookies
- 1 batch royal icing
- Preheat oven to 140°C. Prepare the cookie dough and roll out to 4mm thickness. Roll out ½ the dough to 5mm thickness and cut into 6 x 10cm squares. Roll 5ml offcut dough into a ball and place on top of a square (this will be the lid).
- Bake on baking paper lined trays for about 25 minutes or until golden. Cool on the trays. Cut with a knife if necessary to make straight sides.
- Place a square on a work surface as the base of the box. Pipe a thick line of royal icing on the bottom of 2 squares and up the left side of one square and up the right side of the other square. Press the left and right sides together on top of the base for the walls. Hold for a few minutes (you can use tins to keep them upright) until they can stand on their own.
- Pipe a thick line of royal icing on the bottoms and up both sides of the remaining 2 squares (not the lid). Press together on the base to complete the box. Hold for a few minutes until it can stand on its own. Set aside to harden for at least 2 hours. Repeat with the remaining dough to make a second box.
- Fill with sweets of your choice and cover with the cookie lid. Tie ribbon around to look like a present and to secure the lid.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: ANDREA CALDWELL
Magazine issue date: December, 2018