This delicious french toast with nectarines could pass as a decadent breakfast or pudding.
- 20 mins
- 1 medium French loaf
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup (60ml) cream
- 4 tbsp (60ml) castor sugar
- 2 tbsp (30ml) unsalted butter
- 2 nectarines, cut into slices
- 100g Ricotta cheese*
- 80ml honey, to serve
- Slice the bread at an angle.
- Combine the eggs, cream and castor sugar in a bowl and whisk well.
- In a non-stick pan, heat the butter over medium heat until it starts to foam.
- Dip the bread into the egg mixture and fry in batches, two at a time for 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Top the eggy bread with sliced nectarines and crumbled Ricotta. Drizzle with honey to serve.
Note *Ricotta can be substituted with cream cheese in this recipe. Simply mix 2 tbsp (30ml) honey into the cream cheese.
*For a breakfast twist, substitute the Ricotta and nectarines for some crispy bacon, and the honey for maple syrup.
Magazine issue date: January, 2011