A cold pudding that will impress every time, this frozen eton mess bombe is a must!
- 25 mins + freezing
- 750ml meringue nests, broken
- 2 x 250g tubs crème fraîche
- 500g jar lemon curd
- 19cm round vanilla sponge
- 100g white chocolate
- 30ml edible silver balls
- Line a 19cm round bowl with a double layer of plastic wrap. Combine the meringue and crème fraîche. Spoon large dollops, alternating with the lemon curd, into the prepared bowl. Don’t stir!
- Tap the bowl on the counter to get rid of any air bubbles. Top with the cake and press down well. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 4 hours or until hard.
- To unmould, dip the bowl quickly in a larger bowl of very hot water until it releases when turned over onto a serving plate. Remove bowl and freeze until bombe is very firm, about 1 hour.
- Heat the chocolate in the microwave for about 1 minute 30 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the bombe to form a thin crust and sprinkle with silver balls. Freeze until
the chocolate is set, about 10 minutes.
- Run a large knife under hot water, dry well and slice the bombe into wedges. Serve immediately.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: December, 2017