These low-fat Fruity Bran Muffins are a shameless decadence with fruity bits!
- 45 mins
- Makes 10
- 250ml (1 cup) banana, mashed
- 250ml (1 cup) All-Bran cereal
- 180ml (¾ cup) buttermilk
- 2 egg whites
- 30ml (2T) apple sauce
- 30ml (2T) molasses or honey
- 5ml (1t) vanilla essence
- 250ml (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 125ml (½ cup) sugar
- 5ml (1t) bicarbonate of soda
- 3ml (½ t) cream of tartar
- 3ml (½ t) salt
- 125ml (½ cup) raisins
- 125ml (½ cup) mixed dried fruit, chopped
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a standard muffin tin with 10 paper cups.
- Stir together the banana, cereal, buttermilk, egg whites, apple sauce, molasses (or honey) and vanilla. Set aside for at least 5 minutes to soften the bran.
- Combine the flour, sugar, bicarb, cream of tartar and salt. Mix through the banana mixture until just combined. Fold in the raisins and dried fruit. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups.
- Bake for about 25 minutes until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
Traditional buttermilk is the liquid left behind after churning butter out of cream. It’s left with less than 1g fat/100g, making it even lower in fat than low-fat milk.
Magazine issue date: September, 2015