The perfect way to eat gammon on a hot day is in this gammon and pear salad!
- 4 hrs
FOR THE GAMMON
- 2.5kg uncooked, boneless gammon
- 2L lemonade
- 30ml pickling spice
- 250ml glazed ginger in syrup, chopped finely in the syrup
FOR THE SALAD
- 5 pears, thinly sliced (see tip)
- 100g walnuts, toasted
- 100g pomegranate seeds (optional)
- 250g salad leaves
FOR THE DRESSING
- 100ml olive or avocado oil
- 50ml red wine vinegar
- 45ml wholegrain mustard
- 30ml honey
- salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- Place the gammon in a big saucepan and cover with lemonade. Add cold water if necessary to ensure that it is completely covered. Add the pickling spice and bring to boil.
- Turn down the heat and cook slowly – 30 minutes for every 500g gammon. Leave the gammon to cool in the liquid.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Remove the gammon from the liquid, discarding the liquid. Place the gammon in the oven and brush the top with the ginger glaze. Cook for 30 minutes, checking and glazing every 10 minutes until golden brown and glazed. Leave it to cool overnight in the fridge. Thinly slice the gammon and layer it on a big serving platter.
- Pack the pear slices in between the gammon and sprinkle the walnuts, pomegranate seeds (if using) and rocket over. Whisk together the dressing ingredients and season. Drizzle over the salad.
FEATURE: VICKIE DE BEER ASSISTED BY JULIA VAN MAARSEVEEN PHOTOS: CRPHOTOGRAPHIC
Save time! Prepare the gammon 3 days before and just make the salad on Christmas Day. | Drizzle the pear slices with some lemon juice to avoid discolouring.
Magazine issue date: December, 2014