This giant shortbread recipe is the only shortbread recipe you'll ever need!
- 1hr 10 mins
- Makes 1
- 250g soft butter
- 125ml castor sugar + extra
- 430ml cake flour
- 125ml cornflour
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Sift together the flours and salt. Gradually add to the butter mixture while beating on low until almost combined. Use your hands to bring the dough together. Turn out onto a surface and knead gently until smooth.
- Use your hands to shape into a 24cm disc. Transfer to the prepared tray. Use a chef’s knife to smooth the surface. Pinch the edges to create a fluted edge. Use a small sharp knife to score the disc into 8 wedges and use a fork to prick all over. Freeze for about 10 minutes or until firm. Dust with extra castor sugar, if you like.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until light golden on the outside. Cool on the tray for 20 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into wedges.
Serve with one or all of the following:
- salted caramel sauce – Heat 250ml sugar and 60ml water over medium, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to a boil and cook for about 15 minutes, without stirring, until a golden caramel forms. Take off the heat and slowly pour 80ml cream, 50g butter and good pinch salt while stirring until combined.
- chocolate ganache – Heat 200g chopped dark chocolate and 180ml cream in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until melted. Cool to room temperature. Beat with electric beaters until slightly thickened.
- Double thick cream and berries.
Magazine issue date: September, 2013