You’ll love the proudly South African twist we’ve added to this ginger beer and cranberry glazed gammon.
- 3 hrs 15 mins
- 3.5kg lightly smoked gammon on the bone, skin removed
- 1L ginger beer
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 star anise
- 3 garlic cloves
- 450g cranberry jam
- 250ml frozen cranberries, defrosted (optional)
- mustard, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place the gammon, fat side up, in a large roasting dish and score the fat in a diamond pattern. Pour over the ginger beer and add the cinnamon, star anise and garlic. Season. Cover the dish with foil and roast for about 2 hours or until cooked (see tip).
- Strain off the cooking liquid, add the jam and bring to a boil on high for about 15 minutes or until
a slightly thickened glaze forms.
- Brush some of the glaze over the gammon and roast for about 30 minutes or until caramelised, basting every 10 minutes with remaining glaze.
- Set aside to rest for 10 minutes before carving. Serve hot or at room temperature topped with cranberries (if using) and mustard on the side.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
To test whether the gammon is cooked insert a fork at the thickest part of the meat. If it goes in easily, the gammon is cooked. The temperature should be 72°C on a meat thermometer.
Magazine issue date: December, 2017