Granadilla Heart Delights are delighfully delicious.
- 30 mins
- Makes 24
FOR THE COOKIE DOUGH
- 225g butter
- 125ml (½ cup) castor sugar
- 3ml (½ t) lemon essence
- ½ x 397g tin condensed milk
- 580ml (21/3 cups) cake flour
- 10ml (2t) baking powder
- pinch salt
FOR THE ICING
- 250g butter at room temperature
- 850ml (31/3 cups + 4t) icing sugar
- 60ml (¼ cup) granadilla pulp
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a baking tray with non-stick spray.
- Cream the butter and sugar, add the lemon essence and condensed milk. Beat well.
- Sift the remaining ingredients and mix into the butter mix until it forms a dough. Press flat into a disc, cover with plastic wrap and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface until about 2mm thick. Cut out biscuits using a heart shaped cookie cutter. Cut patterns out of the biscuits using smaller heart-shaped cutters.
- Place the biscuits on the baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes or until just golden in colour. Cool on the tray for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the icing, cream the butter. Sift in the icing sugar, a little at a time, and mix until the icing is light and fluffy. Fold in the granadilla pulp. Spread the icing on half of the biscuit
Freeze any leftover dough. Just wrap it properly to avoid freezer odours from contaminating the dough.
Magazine issue date: Feb, 2015