These grilled beef kebabs with spiced quinoa are perfect for a Friday night supper.
- 35 mins + marinating
- 500g beef rump steak, cubed
- 30ml olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 45ml garam masala
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2cm ginger, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 170ml quinoa
- 375ml water
- 100g packet currants
- 150g packet baby spinach
- 100g packet mixed nuts, chopped
- Combine the steak, 15ml of the oil, 1 garlic clove, 10ml of the garam masala and lemon zest. Season. Rub the steak with the mixture and set aside for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Heat the remaining oil on medium-high and sauté the onion, remaining garlic, ginger and chilli. Add the remaining garam masala and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the quinoa and water, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the quinoa is tender. Add the currants, stir until well combined.
- Heat a griddle pan on medium-high. Thread the steak onto 4 skewers and grill for about 5 minutes on each side or until done to your liking.
- Serve the steak skewers with the spicy quinoa, baby spinach and mixed nuts.
FEATURE: VICKIE DE BEER ASSISTED BY JULIA VAN MAARSEVEEN PHOTOS: LEE SCHWAGELE
Magazine issue date: May, 2017