This grilled pap and chakalaka makes a great breakfast or side for the braai.
- 45 mins + chilling
- 30ml olive or avocado oil + extra
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 chilli, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 250ml water
- 750ml maize meal
- 1L vegetable stock
- 5ml salt
- handful thyme
- 60g butter
- 2 x 410g tins chakalaka, warmed
- 8 soft-boiled or poached eggs
- baby herbs, to serve
- Heat oil on medium and sauté the onion, garlic and chilli. Season. Add the water and boil for 3 minutes.
Add the maize meal and stir until all the water is absorbed.
- Add half of the stock and continue stirring. When the liquid is absorbed, add the remaining stock
while stirring. Reduce heat to medium, add salt and continue cooking while stirring for about 5 minutes
or until cooked.
- Remove from heat and mix in the thyme and butter. Spoon into a 23cm x 30cm dish and cover with
buttered greaseproof paper. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Cut the pap into 8 large rectangles and brush with extra oil. Heat a frying or griddle pan on high and fry
the pap for 3-5 minutes on each side or until charred and warmed through. Serve with chakalaka, eggs, and herbs scattered over.
Magazine issue date: May, 2017