Reduce the sugar, artificial colorants and flavours and make your own Gummies.
- 1 hr
- Makes 20
- 45g (4½ packets) granulated gelatin
- 50ml water
- 500ml fresh strawberry purée
- 45ml lemon juice
- 45ml xylitol
- Mix the gelatin and water until well combined. Set aside to bloom.
- In a medium bowl, combine the strawberry purée, lemon juice and xylitol. Line a sieve with muslin cloth and suspend it over a bowl. Pour the purée into it and squeeze all the juice into a saucepan.
- Bring the juice to a boil on medium high heat. Take off the heat and stir in the gelatin until dissolved.
- Pour into silicone moulds and refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. The gummies will keep for 3 days in an airtight container.
VARIATIONS Replace the strawberry purée with blueberry purée, orange or lemon juice.
DID YOU KNOW? Xylitol looks and tastes like sugar, but has fewer calories and doesn’t raise bloodsugar levels. Xylitol is found in small amounts in many fruits and vegetables and is therefore considered natural. We even produce small amounts of it via normal metabolism. It’s a common ingredient in sugar-free chewing gums, candies, mints, diabetic-friendly foods and oral care products.
Magazine issue date: Nov, 2015