You won’t feel deprived with this low-carb lasagne, in fact this cheesy version might even become a new lasagne favourite.
- Takes 1 hr 20 mins + cooling
FOR THE ‘LASAGNE’
- 2 eggs
- 120g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 60ml pecorino, finely grated
- pinch dried oregano
- pinch garlic powder
- 310ml mozzarella, grated
FOR THE FILLING
- 500g beef mince
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5ml dried oregano
- 50g sachet tomato paste
- 2 x 410g tins chopped tomatoes
- handful basil, chopped + extra
- 375ml mozzarella, grated
- For the ‘lasagne’, preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 22cm x 33cm baking dish with baking paper. Beat together the eggs and cream cheese. Mix in the pecorino, oregano and garlic powder. Mix in mozzarella until combined.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared dish in an even layer. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden. Cool in the fridge for about 20 minutes. Cut into thirds through the width.
- For the filling, heat the mince, onion and garlic on high for about 10 minutes or until browned. Add the oregano, tomato paste and tomatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes. Season. Mix through the basil.
- Spoon ¼ of the mince mixture into the bottom of a 27cm dish. Top with ¼ of the mozzarella and 1 ‘lasagne’ sheet. Repeat layers, ending with mince then mozzarella. Bake for about 20 minutes or until bubbly. Scatter with extra basil.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY ALFRED NQAYI PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: February, 2018