Spice up your chicken differently with this Herby Butter Roast Chicken.
- 1 hr 20 mins
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- zest and juice of 3 lemons
- handful thyme, leaves picked + extra
- handful parsley, finely chopped + extra
- 180g soft butter
- 2 whole chickens
- olive or avocado oil, for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Mix the garlic, lemon zest (reserve the juice), thyme and parsley together. Season. Keep some (about a quarter) of this mixture out, for sprinkling over when serving. Mix the butter through the rest of the herb mixture.
- Gently lift the chickens’ skins and stuff with the herby butter. Season the cavities and stuff with extra thyme and parsley. Secure the legs with kitchen string. Place the chickens in a roasting tray, breast side up and drizzle with oil and the reserved lemon juice. Season.
- Roast for about 1 hour, ladling some of the pan drippings over a few times, until cooked through and golden. Sprinkle with the reserved herb mixture.
Magazine issue date: May, 2014