Hertzoggies are one of South Africa's most delicious treats – topped with jam, desiccated coconut and castor sugar, they are absolutely scrumptious!
- 1 hr + cooling
- 420ml cake wheat flour
- 30ml castor sugar
- 10ml baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 125g butter, cubed
- 3 eggs, separated
FOR THE TOPPING
- 15ml water
- 250ml smooth apricot jam
- 250ml castor sugar
- 500ml desiccated coconut
- Line a 22cm square tray with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang.
- Sift together the flour, castor sugar, baking powder and salt. Rub the butter into the flour with fingertips
until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Beat egg yolks lightly with the water and mix through the flour mixture until a smooth and workable dough
forms. (Add a drop or two of water if the dough is too firm.) Press the dough out onto the base of the
prepared tray and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- For the topping, spread the jam evenly over the dough. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Slowly add the sugar, and continue beating until shiny. Add the coconut. Spoon on top of the jam and bake for about 25 minutes until golden and cooked. Cool completely before slicing.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY ITUMELENG MASONDO PHOTO: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: Feb, 2013