Add cream and strawberries to this Hot Cross Bun and Strawberry Pudding for a real Easter treat.
- 1 hr 20 mins
- softened butter, for spreading
- 10 hot cross buns, cut open
- 250ml strawberry jam
- 125ml (½ cup) sugar
- 500ml (2 cups) milk
- 250ml (1 cup) cream
- 3 eggs
- 125ml (½ cup) castor sugar + extra
- 250g strawberries, quartered
- custard, whipped cream or ice cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a 1.5L ovenproof dish. Spread the hot cross buns with butter and jam and sandwich together. Cut in half. Place into the prepared dish. If any of the jam oozes out, simply dollop it on top.
- Mix the milk, cream, eggs, castor sugar and ¾ of the strawberries together. Pour over the bread. Allow to soak for 3 minutes. Sprinkle over the extra castor sugar.
- Place the dish in a large, deep baking tray and add enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the dish. Bake for about an hour or until just set. Serve with custard, cream or ice cream and the rest of the strawberries.
Magazine issue date: April, 2014