This hot fruit bake with chai spiced nuts is perfect for afternoon tea.
- 1hr 15 mins
FOR THE CHAI SPICED NUTS
- 15ml chai spice
- 200g raw nuts (like pecan and cashews)
- 100g sunflower seeds
- 30ml mixed seeds (like sesame, flaxseed and poppy)
- 30ml syrup
FOR THE HOT FRUIT BAKE
- 1 green apple, cored and sliced into thin wedges
- 2 green pears, cored and sliced into thin wedges
- squeeze lemon juice
- 1 pineapple, cut into chunks
- 350g frozen red berries
- 60g coconut oil, melted
- 80ml brown sugar
- 5ml ground cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- 3 star anise
- 60ml apple juice
FOR THE WHIPPED COCONUT CREAM
- 410g tin coconut cream, chilled
- 5ml vanilla essence
- For the chai spiced nuts, preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Combine all the ingredients and scatter on the prepared tray. Bake for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently until golden.
Cool and scrape with a fork to break up.
- For the fruit bake, preheat oven to 180°C. Combine the apple, pears and lemon juice. Mix through the pineapple and berries.
- Combine the coconut oil, sugar, spices and apple juice. Mix through the fruit. Pour fruit evenly into a 27cm x 36cm baking dish and bake for about 45 minutes or until tender.
- For the whipped coconut cream, chill the tin upside down in the fridge overnight. Open the tin and discard the water. Scoop out the solid cream and beat with the vanilla until smooth.
- Serve the baked fruit sprinkled with nuts and dollops of the whipped coconut cream.
Make your own chai spice by combining 5ml each of ground cinnamon, ground cloves, allspice, ground nutmeg and
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTO: ROELENE PRINSLOO
Magazine issue date: Jun, 2016