This version of jalapeño popper chicken with baby marrow salad turns this fiery snack into a more-ish supper.
- 1 hr 15 mins
FOR THE CHILLI DRESSING
- 1 small red chilli, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- handful coriander, chopped
- 15ml honey
- 15ml soy sauce
- juice of ½ lemon, to taste
FOR THE JALAPEÑO POPPER CHICKEN
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 jalapeños, halved lengthways
- 375ml mozzarella, finely grated
- 250g packet streaky bacon
- 250ml barbecue sauce
FOR THE SALAD
- 350g packet baby marrow spaghetti
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- handful each coriander and mint, leaves picked
- 1 red chilli, julienned
- For the dressing, blitz together all the ingredients until fine.
- For the chicken, preheat oven to 220°C. Cut each breast open into two fillets. Place the fillets between baking paper and beat until 5mm thick. Season.
- Cut the stems off the jalapeños and scrape out seeds. Fill each half with mozzarella. Place a jalapeño half, cheese side down, onto each fillet. Roll up around jalapeños to cover.
- Wrap 2 pieces of bacon tightly around each chicken log. Place on a tray and bake for about 20 minutes. Brush with barbecue sauce and cook under a heated grill for about 6 minutes, turning and basting halfway or until sticky and browned.
- For the salad, combine the ingredients and mix through the dressing. Serve with the chicken.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY ALFRED NQAYI PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Use pickled jalapeños instead of fresh to reduce the heat.
Magazine issue date: Apr, 2018