These cherry lemon squares from the book Butter & Love make the perfect tea-time treat!
- 15 mins
- Makes about 24
- ½ cup (125g) butter
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 1 x 385g tin condensed milk
- 50ml lemon juice
- 1 x 200g packet Marie biscuits, crushed
- 100g glacé cherries
- 2 cups (160g) desiccated coconut
- finely grated lemon zest (optional)
- Line a 20cm x 20cm square cake pan with baking paper. Heat butter, sugar, condensed milk and lemon juice together until the sugar has melted. Leave to cool slightly.
- Stir in crushed biscuits, cherries, coconut and lemon zest (if using). Tip the mixture into the prepared pan and press down well. Leave to cool slightly, turn out onto a cutting board and cut into small squares.
In Butter & Love: Boerekos from a farm kitchen (Quivertree Publications), chef and food stylist Anna Carolina Alberts celebrates South African heritage food and specifically classic Afrikaans recipes passed down through the generations. Think tomato lamb stew, venison pie, beef biltong, mealie bread, koeksisters, milk tart, boere rusks and apricot chutney.
Magazine issue date: March, 2018