Make this American Key-lime Pie with local lime varieties for your guests and family.
- 45 mins
- Makes 1 large pie
- 200g packet digestive biscuits
- 1 tbsp (15ml) castor sugar
- 100g butter, melted
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 397g tin condensed milk
- 160ml cream
- 6 limes, grated zest and juice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm springform tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Process the biscuits until fine crumbs form. Add the sugar and butter, and process until well combined. Press the biscuit mixture firmly into the base and 3cm up the sides of the tin. Refrigerate.
- Whisk together the eggs, condensed milk, cream, lime zest and juice until smooth.
- Pour into the biscuit crust and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until set. Cool before serving.
* Choose limes that are glossy and light to dark green in colour, with a smooth skin. * Limes stored at room temperature will yield more juice than limes stored in the fridge. * Microwaving limes for 20-30 seconds on high and then allowing them to stand for a couple of minutes, helps the juice to flow more easily – especially if you’re taking them straight from the fridge.
Magazine issue date: January, 2011