A classic dish, our lamb and veg potjie is simply delicous.
- 2 hrs
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 500g baby onions, peeled
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 125ml cake flour
- 1.5kg stewing lamb (with bones)
- 410g tin chopped tomatoes
- 750ml beef stock
- 500g butternut cubes
- 500g sweet potato cubes
- 4 corn on the cobs, cut into pieces
- handful parsley, chopped
- rice or bread rolls, to serve
- Heat a splash of oil in a pot over prepared coals and sauté the onions, carrots and celery. Set aside for later. Season the cake flour and dust the lamb in this. Heat another splash of oil and brown the lamb all over. Season.
- Top with the tomatoes and stock. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour until tender. Top with the onion mixture, butternut, sweet potato and corn, cover and cook for about 40 minutes until cooked. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with rice or bread rolls.