This lemon and herb fish is delicious on the braai and packed with flavour.
- 30 mins
FOR THE AIOLI
- 250ml creamy mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
FOR THE HERB SAUCE
- 3 chillies, chopped (optional)
- 80ml ginger, finely grated
- 12 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 large handfuls coriander
- zest and juice of 3 lemons
- 180ml olive oil
FOR THE FISH
- 4 x 600g whole fresh fish (like snapper, red roman or red silver fish), scaled and gutted
- 3 lemons, sliced into rings + extra
- oil, for rubbing
- For the aioli, combine mayonnaise and garlic.
- For the sauce, blitz together all the ingredients. Season.
- For the fish, score each fish 2-3 times on each side with a sharp knife. Season the cavity of the fish and spoon in half of the herb sauce and lemon slices.
- Rub the fish with oil and place in a braai grid. Cook on medium-hot coals for about 6 minutes on each side or until they flake easily. Season. Squeeze over extra lemon juice.
- Drizzle the fish with the remaining herb sauce and scatter with extra coriander and chilli. Serve with the aioli.
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: December, 2017