This lemon roast chicken with herb sauce will give new life to a Sunday roast or Christmas feast.
- 1 hr 30 mins
- 8 - 10
- 2 x 1.5kg whole chickens
- 200g soft butter
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 1kg baby carrots, scrubbed
FOR THE HERB SAUCE
- 60ml olive or avocado oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 handfuls mixed herbs (like parsley, sage, thyme and basil)
- 125ml chicken stock
- 45ml lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Carefully loosen the chicken skin with your fingers and place ¾ of the
butter under the skin. Season the cavities and insert the lemon wedges. Secure the legs with kitchen string.
- Rub the remaining butter mixture over the chickens and place in a large baking dish. Season. Roast for about 1 hour or until golden and cooked. Add the carrots 20 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- For the herb sauce, blitz together all the ingredients. Season and serve drizzled over the chicken
Use rainbow carrots and cut large ones in half, lengthways. Drizzle with tahini, sesame seeds, pomegranate rubies
FEATURE: MARGIE ELS-BURGER ASSISTED BY NOMVUSELELO MNCUBE PHOTOS: DYLAN SWART
Magazine issue date: December, 2017