These savoury Lemon, Sage and Cheese Scones with Herb Butter are perfect for tea time!
- 40 mins
- Makes 6
- 750ml self-raising flour, sifted
- 5ml salt
- 60g butter
- 80ml white Cheddar, grated
- 30ml sage, chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- 250ml milk
FOR THE HERB BUTTER
- 250g soft butter
- 45ml parsley, chopped
- 45ml basil, chopped
- 45ml thyme leaves
- 125ml dill, chopped
- handful watercress, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix the flour and salt together. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the cheese, sage and lemon zest, and combine well.
- Cut the milk into the dough using a flat-blade knife until a soft dough forms. Knead lightly on a floured surface until the dough just comes together. Using a 5cm floured cutter, cut into 6 scones.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- For the herb butter, blitz the butter until smooth. Mix the herbs through.
- Serve the warm scones with the herb butter and watercress.
Magazine issue date: May, 2016